Monday, October 11, 2010

Perfection

Have you ever found yourself busier than you can ever imagine, aimlessly wading through a sea of work, school, family, friends, relationships, extra curricular activities, and finally our free time. I can't speak for everyone one but sometimes I just feel like I'm on auto pilot. Most of the time, I strive for perfection though. Who wouldn't want to be the person that pulls of everything with ease? 20 page paper due by Friday? Spending an entire weekend of un-interupted time with family, friends and others? Learn a new skill over a long weekend?

It all sounds amazing and something that I think all of of think about from time to time. Anymore, our lives have become less about what we get out of things and more about how many things we can CRAM in.

For some I think the reason that we do are we are looking to fulfill or prove ourselves. A person whom is busy and accomplishes a lot can feel that sense of accomplishment because they have a list of tasks that they can point too. Another reason could be competition. We want to prove that we can do as much if not more than someone else. There's a third party that kind of melds the two and these people are the weirdest of all; those who simply like being busy. I fall into this category. I enjoy the rush of always having something to do and sometimes I measure myself against others that way. What does this have to do with perfection you might ask?

When you do all the things you do, you naturally strive for perfection. You want to do everything right. Here's the issue though. Aside from a few rare group of individuals, we can't get everything right. Somethings will fall through the cracks. Yet we will tear ourselves up over trying to get everything right. We are afraid of failing in anyway.

The sad thing is, that the harder we try some times, the more we go backward. I'll admit it, I'm a perfectionist. I want things to go perfect everytime, say the perfect thing and so forth. I learned a valuable lesson this past weekend. You can't make everything perfect. That perfect time, response, place or setting. In every day life, we may get that moment once in a life time. In movies in happens all the time. The group in a disaster movie is spared at the last moment, the drama movie has that perfect line and who can forget the couple where one opens the door after a fight and the other has come back, its raining and they make up? See, we are conditioned to believe that life can lived this way and we try amazing hard to do so. But you can't, you just have to live life. You can drive people, opportunities and real life away by this pursuit of perfection. I did.


No comments:

Post a Comment