Monday, October 4, 2010

Hero's


Hero's are something most of us have. They are the people that we look up too because of the things they have done or the way they live their life. Its something strong enough that we want to emulate it. When we're little our heroes are usually people like our parents, astronauts, super hero's and the like. Some of those stay the same as we grow up but some pop up in the field that we're interested in. Since I figured out that I wanted to be a broadcaster, there have been 4 guys I have looked up too. Each one has taught me about a different aspect of the business that is key. Ironically, it's four major things; 1.Gravitas. 2. Choice of words. 3. Painting a picture and 4. Always ready.

Here are my heroes and what they taught me.


1. Gravitas: Ken Squire





Yeah the video is kinda kitchy but the voice of Squire lends credibility and a certain sense of history to the video. The voice is unlike any other. For many years, Squire was the voice of NASCAR. He called the first race that was broadcast live, flag to flag. It was the 1979 Daytona 500, the race made famous by the last lap brawl. Ever since then, he has been a part of several memorable moments on and off the track. Its the tone and pitch of the voice that always catches me and still does to this day. It makes you sit up and listen


2. Choice of words: Mike Joy





There are moments that are itched in your mind that last forever. I was 9 years old, watching my first Daytona 500 when the magical moment happened. After 20 years of trying, Dale Earnhardt finally won the Daytona 500. I remember many things about that day but I remember Mike Joy's words more than anything. It was the perfect way to describe what was happening. It still gives me chill's to this day just watching it. I know for many other fans, those words are also extremely memorable.


3. Painting a picture: Mitch Holthus



One of my first memories as a kid was listening to Mitch Holthus, the "Voice of the Chiefs," describing the "Sea of Red at Arrowhead." We used to listen to a lot of the Chiefs games on the radio and one thing that I always remembered was the way Holthus painted a great mental image. He describes everything and makes sure that all the folks listening on the radio feel connected. In radio, I've learned that the most important job is painting that great mental image to help the audience feel apart of what you are doing on the radio.



4. Always Ready: David Crawford



The last lesson I learned was from someone who actually gave me my start in radio. David Crawford really helped me learn the ropes and ways of radiobut the one thing I always admired about him was his ability to just pick up a microphone and go. He's an absolute pro at it. He's always ready with something to say and has a rare ability to work a crowd. It's not easy but its like a switch flips on inside of him and he just goes at it and has tremendous success with it.

So these are my heroes and this is what they have taught me. Now its time for some interaction. Comment back on your heroes and what they have taught/done for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment